One of the most innovative charities that I came across at New Wine was Toilet Twinning. They are a charity that looks to provide safe sanitation around the world. They are a charity setup between Cord and Tearfund and have, to date, built some 4,000 toilets in DR Congo, Burundi and Cambodia.
Some of the statistics are absolutely shocking. Toilet Twinning point out:
- 2.6 billion people across the world don’t have somewhere safe to go to the toilet (WHO / UNICEF)
- Bad sanitation is one of the world’s biggest killers: it hits women, children, old and sick people hardest
- Every minute, three children under the age of five die because of dirty water and poor sanitation (WHO)
- Right now, more than 50 per cent of hospital beds in developing countries are filled with people who have an illness caused by poor sanitation or dirty water (UNDP)
- In Africa, half of young girls who drop out of school do so because they need to collect water – often from many miles away – or because the school hasn’t go a basic toilet.
- The lack of a loo makes women and girls a target for sexual assault as they go to the toilet in the open, late at night
- Many women get bitten by snakes as they squat in the grass to go to the toilet
- For every £1 spent on a water and sanitation programme, £8 is returned through saved time, increased productivity and reduced health costs. (UNDP)
So what do Toilet Twinning do? They help with safe access to water and with safe sanitation and give advise on health issues. What I loved about it was that you give a donation of £60 and in return you get a framed picture of a toilet to hang in your own khazi! A reminder for when you do your business that actually many others are less fortunate than we are.
So, if you want a framed picture and help those in most need head on over to toilet twinning!